Our caring team at Smiles Dental understands that many patients struggle with dental anxiety. Whether you feel small butterflies in your stomach, paralyzing fear, or anything in between, dental anxiety can make it difficult for you to receive the dental care you need for a healthy, bright smile. We are here to help you feel relaxed and comfortable during your visits to our offices.
If your anxiety is caused by a negative experience in the past, you have no need to worry; dental technology, techniques, and chairside manner have improved dramatically in recent years, and our team is here to do all we can to help you feel more comfortable. Many patients also feel nervous because they are uncertain of what their visits will include. Our dentists and team members are always happy to explain every step in your treatment so you can feel at ease during your time with us.
We are pleased to offer our Signature Anxiety-Free Services to help reduce your unease and provide you with a more enjoyable dental experience:
- Communication Is Key – We ask questions of you, and we want you to ask us questions, too. We want you to be honest with us; with open communication, we can help you overcome most anxieties.
- Tell, Show, Do – The “Tell, Show, Do,” technique is especially helpful for patients who are anxious because they do not know all of the details of their treatment. We will first tell you what we are going to do, then we will show you how we will do it, and then we will do it. Throughout your visit, we will check in with you to make sure you are comfortable and to see if you need a break.
- iPods, Blankets, Pillows, & More – An iPod can be a great way to help you drown out the sounds of the dental office and simply relax. We also provide warm blankets and soft pillows to help you feel more comfortable. In addition, many of our offices offer TVs and movies in the treatment room.
- Want to See? – If seeing what is going on would help you feel more comfortable, feel free to ask us for a mirror.
- Sedation Dentistry – The Smiles Dental offices offer a variety of sedation options to help you feel calmer during your visit, whether it is for a dental cleaning or a more complex treatment. Depending on your needs, our dentists may recommend oral medication, inhalation sedation (nitrous oxide/laughing gas), topical medications, or IV sedation. We are happy to help you find the solution that is right for you.
To learn more about how we can help you overcome dental anxiety, we welcome you to contact your nearest office today. Our team is eager to care for you!