Maintaining a great oral hygiene regimen is important at any age. However, older individuals must be even more diligent when caring for their teeth in order to minimize signs of aging and avoid serious dental problems. Aging can wreak havoc on your dental health and cause a wide range of problems. In this blog post, we’ll discuss some tips for protecting your teeth and your health!
How Aging Affects Oral Health
Aging can have a negative impact on your overall oral health. This can include:
- Thin, receding gums
- Dry mouth
- Teeth more likely to develop cavities
- Jawbone density diminishes
Protecting Your Smile
A healthy smile can make a huge difference in your appearance and your overall health. Here are some tips for maintaining a healthy, beautiful smile throughout your lifetime!
- Brush twice a day for two minutes each time
- Clean dentures daily to prevent bacteria buildup which can transfer to gums
- Check with your dentist immediately if you experience any dental pain, sores, or discomfort when chewing
- Drink fluoridated water and use toothpaste with fluoride
- Floss daily
- Get an oral cancer screening at least once a year
- Quit smoking to minimize the chances of developing gum disease, tooth decay, and tooth loss
- Visit the dentist twice a year for exams and cleanings
Addressing Dental Issues Right Away
If you are currently struggling with a dental problem, contact our office immediately. The sooner issues are treated, the easier they are to get rid of, especially before they turn into more severe, costly problems. If you’re experiencing any of the following, contact a Smiles Dental office near you right away.
- Broken tooth restoration
- Chronic halitosis
- Dry mouth
- Loosening teeth
- Mouth sores that won’t heal
- Swollen, painful gums
- Tooth pain
A Lifetime of Oral Health at Smiles Dental
At Smiles Dental, we’re committed to helping patients of all ages achieve and maintain a lifetime of great oral health. If you have any questions about caring for your smile, please contact an office near you today!